Friday, February 19, 2010

Set up questions and the difference of the sexes

Erin called me last night from her office and asked me if we could go bowling. This coming a night after we had already been bowling, mostly because she is bound and determined to break 100 in a game. After a little hesitation because my arm and thumb were still throbbing from the 3 games the previous night and mostly because my competitive juices kicked in, I agreed. But before we left, Erin had to change from her work clothes into some jeans, she asked me a question. It was pre-staged like this, "This isn't a set-up question at all..." Ahhh....a red flashing light and a siren instantly started go off in my head. "...but it you could change one thing about me and/or our marriage, what would it be?" You're right honey, that's not a set-up at ALL!!! After a little wait and "what do you mean" questions, I got Erin to give me an example. She said she would change our financial situation and something else (I was watching the Olympics, I don't remember)...just kidding...I remember but I don't have her permission to tell you. So I said, "I wish we could have more day's to sleep in togather." Appearently that's where I went wrong. She replied that that answer didn't count. I replied "so not only did you actually ask me a set-up question but the set-up question also has precautions as well!" We then had a good laugh and went on our second date night in a row. But it got me wondering about the difference between women and men. Where as Erin's answer has to deal with financial dealings, which I'm sure most newly weds, if not all couples deal with, mine was probably not nearly as stressful or life threatening. And don't get me wrong, Erin and I both have pretty decent jobs and the money we earn covers our bills, but like everyone, we would like to have a couple more dollars to put towards savings, retirement, a house...ect. I just found it interesting that she would say money and mine was sleeping and/or lounging around more togather. I wonder, if you polled women and men, and asked them the same question, how many of the women's answer's would be "serious" and how many of the men's would be, well, not so much. I found it humorous I guess. That's my thought for the day...and my first official blog (that wasn't the official welcome). Oh...for those of you still wondering, Erin didn't break the 100 mark...she bowled a very evil and spitefull 99...and we are never allowed to bowl in lane 30 ever again according to her. However, I'm sure the bowling alley will be our hangout until she does get over the hump.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I think I agree with your idea of spending more time together (paraphrase of your sleeping in) as I feel like I don't get enough time with Dan. I think that is a serious answer. One difference in us I've found is women want security, men are worried about significance. Erin's answer reflects that. Yours tells me you are a sweet guy, but I knew that already, bro.

    And let Erin know there are others out here trying to break 100, which I can't even do in bumper bowling!

    ReplyDelete